Sunday, May 07, 2006

Is it worthwhile?

This is in continuation with the post “We the techies”.

I am feeling damn sleepy. Time right now is 3:32 AM. My winamp is playing “Can’t stop this thing we started - Bryan Adams”. You must be wondering what the hell I am doing at this time. So for knowledge sakes, I am sitting in my cube to provide production support to my client (Only God knows who is going support to whom).

Have a look at the photo… (Taken during production support night)
Myself & Gupta… Giving production support… (u can make out which kinda support it is)

Ye pagla lamp khane ki try kar raha hai… yeah that’s me


I better cut the crap and start with my topic.

You must have heard things like "Life means change" and "Only change is constant", but has anybody ever thought whether changing or the change itself is really worth it?

Let’s talk about IT sector. Ancient India was famous for its leather, spices, diamonds and all, and now, after a long time Brand India is emerging, thanks to IT, and thanks to out sourcing. There is no doubt that I am doing a job which I wouldn’t even have thought some 20 years back. Most of us have a better job than our parents’, better in terms of salary, infrastructure and the so called high standard of living. Everything is so tempting, everything looks so promising. Day after day we are moving from one company to another, running after a higher salary. But aren’t we living in a material world? Aren’t we becoming material boys & girls? Everyday we are thinking of a new project, a new assignment, a new job, a new company, a new (b/g) friend, etc… But how much time are we spending on our personal life?

According to THE WEEK’s survey on workaholics “Every fourth employed Indian works more than 16 hours a day and ends the day feeling frustrated. Most of them agree that their life revolves around their work, but it’s ok if the money is good. Whether the family is happy or not with the job is not a major concern for them”

Is there any difference between a human being and a computer (rather a machine)? I would like to ask you one question here. Tell me, how much time do you spend on things that matter to you most? Do you ever talk to yourself?

According to another survey, “Every third workaholic is getting more quick-tempered and physically sicker than before”

I would like to pose a few more questions to you here.
* Do you have back / neck ailments?
* Have you been bogged down by depression / fatigue?
* Have you faced a problem of disturbed sleep / poor immunity?
* How about loss of relationships and emotional collapse?
* Do you remember when you went for a walk with your friend last time?
* How may times have you seen the sunrise / sunset during the last month?

“You have to be FLEXIBLE”, is probably the first eligibility criteria for taking up a job in the IT industry. Yeah that is a selection mantra allrite. “Are you flexible in terms of work (technology and working hours)? Are you flexible in terms of geographic location? If your answer is right you are my guy, come join us”. But we are human beings right? Aren’t they comparing us with the NextGen robots? Do we have emotions? Do we need friends and family? Now you might say, what rubbish, who is stopping you to make friends? But no boss, it’s not so easy to make and “maintain” friends. You leave your near n dear ones or they leave you on the pretext of career and / or work being more important. You always need to be ready for a short term transfer and that too on a minimal notice time. They may ask you to move to some city in India or overseas in 4-5 days. Can you wind up everything in such a short span of time? Tangibles are fine but how can you wind up your emotions, your attachment to the place and its people, how can you wind up your relations? Thinking, “Why can’t I maintain my friendship even when I am away?” Yes I can. But “Proximity does matter”. Because of your professional / personal obligations the frequency of talking reduces (even if you don’t want it to happen) and that makes a difference.

As I remember it, October 17, 2004, the day I came to Mysore for the first time. None of my school or college friends were here with me. I made some new friends during my training. Outta them, only 4 (Me, Batra, Banani, and Kakkar) got posted to Mysore. Others got posted elsewhere. Thus once again began the quest for new friends and I got some good pals too. Let me write their names. Buddy (alias Nabamita), TCK (alias Vignesh), Bisht (alias Dinesh), KG (alias Kamal), Tau, Raju (alias Peeyush) and Chhotu. They all are very good people to be friends with, each one being a class apart from the other but in a class of his own. But that does not mean that I don’t miss my old friends. Life is never that simple. Sometime later KG, Bisht, TCK and Buddy went to US for onsite assignments. KG is back now but others are still there. How can I forget the time we spent together? We are still in touch but can’t spend time together right? I made some good friends in of my previous projects too– Rocky (alias Rakesh), G (alias Anita), Mr. Setty, Sheru (alias Chetanya), Akhilesh, n more. But again none of them is here. Some of them went to onsite and some of them got transferred. That was not the end of it; Raju got posted to Pune, Banani went to Hyderabad, last week Chhotu got transferred to Mangalore and now Tau and gupta are also expecting some onsite assignments. I know I haven’t told anyone of you how much you mean to me. I am not saying that I can’t live without somebody but it hurts… When your friends go away it hurts…. I am really bad at this, but believe me guys (ya gals also….) you all (literally all) mean a lot to me. I am sure every one of you would be having your own Buddy, your own Tau, your own Raju, your own Chhotu, your own Batra and your own gang. You might also be feeling the same way as I do. But is all this really worth it?

I have observed a whole lotta changes in myself in the past 2 years. I have met herds of different people and I have been close with some of them. But only few of them are with me today. God knows if we will meet again. It’s really frustrating, and at times I feel tired of all such changes. I don’t want to loose my friends anymore. I am tired of being formal, saying sorry and thanking you with the least bit of emotion involved. I am tired of having endless cups of coffee. I am tired of getting all senti listening to the song “Chitthi aayi hai” from the movie Naam (Listen to it once, I find it too senti esp the lines
Tune paisa bahut kamaya, Is paise ne des chhudaya
Des paraya chhod ke aaja, Panchhi pinjra tod ke aaja
Aaja umar bahut hai chhoti, Apne ghar me bhi hai roti.)

I know I might be sounding like a loser here. Another song that would potray my feelings at this juncture would be

Everything's so blurry
and everyone's so fake
and everybody's empty
and everything is so messed up
pre-occupied without you
(From: "Blurry" - PUDDLE OF MUDD)

I don’t want you to end up all senti after reading this. This is solely a self introspection that I have done.

Don’t worry guys; you won’t more posts like this too often. Next post will be full of fun, but this time you have to bear with me.

I agree there are many ways to think about all this differently and feel good about everything but tell me frankly IS IT REALLY WORTHWHILE?

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

relax buddy .. am not goin onsite anytime in the near future so dont give heart ache to other ppl reading ur blog... (i hope u get whom i am talking about)... and as far as spending time together goes.. am sure by the time we move to places u wud be irked (more or less irritated) by my company.. ;).. jsut kiddin... carry on writing (Y)

Anonymous said...

Seriously its very frustrating...i hate CHANGES....but its life and it has to go on...good blog...keep writing...bini

Story of My Life! said...

Budddy!!
That's true.. whatever you said..

But this is life..
Even i feel same,specially I am here in whole different culture.

Anonymous said...

Dh@v@l... your thoughts concur with mine at many places! May be it is because I am in production support too! I am thinking we should have a seperate community... the production support guys... I don't know where this whole IT infrastructure would go if we weren't there :) Now I really sympathize with the CCD guys (Infosions would know who those lesser known creatures are!)

Anonymous said...

It’s definitely not worthwhile :) After reading your blog I am just speechless…thinking whether we are doing justice to ourselves? I feel it’s just a matter of time when things will definitely settle down soon… take care dude and keep writing. Your FAN.

Anonymous said...

OK...Agreed with you...But was it worth, at the time while the whole India was sleeping and probably would be in the last couple of reels of their dreams, You writing such a big thoughtful Blog....(Kidding buddy)

Keep it up...Great thinking...that too at such timings...Dont keep yourself awaken at these times frequently, Nobel will come to Infy then.

Anonymous said...

I knw..and somehow i totally concur with the feelings which you expressed in the lines "Am tired of the change". But I guess it is all about the comfort zones, and how people like to remain in their own.

They say change is good..this truth is yet to dawn on me however. I am bugged in trying to figure out on exactly what purpose it serve, beside making you resilient towards futher change!!

Anonymous said...

Your write up reminds me of a verse
"Nothing is constant in life but change
Everyone in their own way is strange"
IT or not, this life is not meant to be constant. Nothing remains. Nothing at all. Just the memories of the joy and happiness we lived in.
May life be gentle with thee.

Anonymous said...

Hi buddy.. what ever u wrote i accept with it... one solution from my side.. i dont know how much this will impact but surely it will impact... this late nights and struggle started because of the bachelors... they will stay late nights to impress there bosses ( the main reason to stay late nights is they dont know what to do after going home.. they say they have net access and computer and why cant i spend my time here and enjoy which inturn will speak that he is staying late night and he is hard worker) please guys who r bachelors and who are freshers to the production try to cut off ur working time to 6 atmost... i know in some cases we cant avoid staying late nights... that is exceptional.. just for time passing dont stay in office... May be i am write or wrong this is my thought... by the way dhaval thanx for sharing ur thoughts and made us to think...keep going buddy

Dh@v@! said...

@ Anonymous (Tau) : Not in the near future but jaana to hai right… tusi jaa rahe ho… tusi mat jaao… hhaa… don’t worry mai bhi aaunga tere saath… and rahi baat company ki lets see… kon bore hota hai kis se… ;)

@ Bini : thnx… and yaeh life goes on… it has to go on…

@ Pathik : I can understand it buddy… I know ur situation is not different as such… but it goes on…. njoy…

@ SiD (Chanchal) : Establish the community… ;) mai bhi join kar lunga… and guess what will have a huge gang.

Dh@v@! said...

@ My FAN : Are sheru… I know it’s just a matter of time… ab dil kiya likh diya… ;)

@ MUJU : yar it was my support night… had nothing to do so thought will write something… thnx for reading it…

@ Nabs : yeah buddy its all abt comfort zones… and u ur sign says “it goes on” right… keep rocking.. njoy..

Dh@v@! said...

@ Anonymous : yeah thts ture… IT or not… its same everywhere… I agree with “Just the memories of the joy and happiness we lived in.” ek song yaad aagaya… “Yaadein Yaad Aati Hain…. From Movie YAADEIN ”

@ Anonymous : I agree with u… even I feel the same and I m totally against late night stays… but as u have told there are some reasons which come as excuses. Ane one more is “Everybody is in the, office how can I leave?” but we all need to understand this fact and should stop all this.

@ TO ALL ANONYMOUS : plz plz plz… write your name at the end or choose others and give ur name there… it will be easy for me to identify you…

Anonymous said...

well patel, you are right about changes and all the things.. but as somebody said above.. this is what life is mann.. and it has to be this way only...

about your nights at office and all.. i know you might be enjoying it a lot but still you are feeling sad for nights at office.. hey man.. why not enjoy and feel good at the same time..

about those surveys.. man.. they all are generalized things.. and you are not general.. you are your best surveyor.. i dont know but there is a forward mail about some guy who said he always makes a choice between two things.. and how this saved his own life in hospital.. i dont know whether i have it or not.. bbut if i find it i will forward it.. i know that is a crap story.. but imp thing is YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE.. really its something that you have to answer..

well i am not giving answers to your qs here.. but about the companies you said.. its true.. you got to be flexible and thats all they want.. and patel.. it is going to be like that only... so be flexible with this requirement also.. hehe..

anyway man keep on writing.. i know you are not but still i want to say it.. "Dont be senti" haha..

cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dhaval,

I would like to draw your attention to a few lines written by the inimitable Dr. Harivansh Rai Bachchan in his poem "Jo beet gaya so baat gayi". He says:

"Ambar ke aachal ko dekho,
kitne iske taare toote,
kitne iske pyaare chhute,
par toote taron ko kya ambar rata hai,
Jo beet gaya so baat gayi"

That surmises what life is all about.

You talk about friends being left behind but that's what gets you new friends. And I suppose you don't compare friends coz they are all special in their own ways.(You lose some, you win some).

I guess you need to fall in love with beauty of life coz it has more twists and turns than a Manmohan Desai flick. Just think of it as a journey where you want to leave a mark behind.

We have to take decisions as Robert Frost puts it,
"I shall be saying this with a sigh,
Somewhere ages and ages hence,
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference"

I did production support type of work for four months before we met and I know it is frustating.

But then you need to take the bull by its horns and take charge.

Remember "ITS YOU AND ONLY YOU" -
who is responsible for your happiness and unhappiness. Decide what you want from life and work towards it. You might not get it but you will definitely have the satisfaction of having put in you best foot forwards to get what you deserve.

I am afraid it might become longer than the original post.

Cheers and Keep writing

Dh@v@! said...

@ Bapu & Dinesh

I agree with u guys… but it is not so easy to do right? And this blog was written when I was actually depressed. But stil I think we all need to re-look at the issue and act accordingly right? You know in college I use to say “LIFE IS FULL OF UNDEFINED VARIABLES”. I can understand the theory but being a human somewhere I can’t cop up with the practical aspect. I know there has to be ups and downs, but ups should be more than downs. Isn’t it?

Anyway thnx a lot for reading and after reading thinking abt it…. I really appreciate the kind of comments you have written. Thanx for sharing your views.

Anonymous said...

frankly speaking....i do not agree with ur thought....may b u give freedom of thought to all in ur blog...

i knw people are moving ane new ones are coming....but can u get the emotion whch u get when someone who has went to US, calls u frm there and talk with u.. :-)

e.g. i know u were very very happy whn u got a call frm me on ur BDAY. u may nt b that much happy in college days whn i used to call u at the same time,same date but being next door to u...

guys/gals : these are my own thoughts...


PS : No offence intended.

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

hmm .How true. Everything is one big farce. All of us mere puppets.

Anonymous said...

Hey dhaaaval.. tht was really good one. hats off to ur thoughts. u have depicted the feelings in such a wonderful way. but we shall all meet once again. may be when we come , u wont be there. tht is life. but we should always be there for each other. tht is life.

Dh@v@! said...

@ Jigar : dude you are talking abt distance Vs emotions / feelings here… I agree Jab koi door hota hai baat karke jyada achha lagta hai… and another reason of being happy was frequency of talking… yar in college we used to talk for at least 4-5 hours a day… and that day we were talking after some months isn’t it? But what I was trying to point out is “Cuz of our changed life we are giving more imp to material things compared to personal stuff (if you want or don’t want)” Is that worthwhile?
And sala tane kyar thi “PS : No offence intended” ni jaroorat padva lagi?

@ Ajay : Yup thts true…

@ Anita : thnx G. lets hope for the best…

Anonymous said...

hey dude.. that was a truly thought provoking post.. But ultimately, ur job, ur life, ur friends, it's all up to u.If u dont like it,change it. After all,change is the only thing that is constant!U r not a slave to anyone out here! I know that this is all easier said than done,but impressing ur boss DOESNT mean that one needs to sit up in office late nights, which is one thing ppl need to get in their heads!
u have a life outside ur cubicle, and every software professional has a right to njoy it, as much as anyone else..
Agree that changes can take loved ones away at time, but believe me, distances can never separate true friends. After all, its a small,small world.

Dh@v@! said...

@ Elle : hey Elle. You are really lucky (that’s wht ur answers show). U love ur work that’s really good (Once again I think ur lucky)…BTW I would like to know ur job profile (a day in HR’s life). And about friends – totally agree yar…

@ Anonymous : Even I agree with you abt impressing boss thing. I m lucky also my current boss is not of that kind but I have seen some Bosses who do believe in late night stay = good work and they are demanding it. And abt friends, ya I agree… thnx for dropping in. but plz give ur name also along with with ur comment.

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hey, this is the best way when you look at in from the persepctive of having friends....Everything is so complex today, there are so many jobs to be done and we have to compromise as if we don't we dont get there. I am not for workinf late hours..I used to do 14 hours for a year in India but then one day decided that I am not going to do that naymore. I just did my exact shift timing and I was more happy. I could sleep at nights peacefully. Since then I am all for justified work hours...Is change required? Something changes and ou tag along as you cant afford to be left behind as you say we have aplastic society where we have to keep reputations n prestige...Everyone wants to make it big and they sacrifice "personal elements" but show with big homes and cars and plastered smiles too...For many this is an accepted way of life...It is not what we want but something we ought to do as whatever said, you need a job today! If you dont fall into this rut, you are considered a looser or a fool and looked down by manyh and inmany cases even by people in your family. Have seen tht happen too!! I like the way u guys sit..If your clients saw tht relaxing posture they may be petrified!! :) Good post n the song is very nice too!

Dh@v@! said...

@ SCRIBBLEZ : “If you dont fall into this rut, you are considered a looser or a fool and looked down by manyh and inmany cases even by people in your family.” Even I have seen that. You know its like if you don’t want to think about all these things somebody will force you to think. Thnx for wasting time on my abstract thoughts…

Anuradha said...

Every word in the blog just struck a code within... even i have been feeling the same for quiet sometime now.. with friends leaving for onsite, some leaving the company, some starting new life.... God only knows when we are going to meet again... but still I am happy that life brought us together, not for much time but yes for some wonderful moments... these times will never come... we will never be having those carefree chats in the middle of the nite, nor the surprise (which doesnt remain a surprise :)) bday parties at 12 in the nite.... Man, this is so bad... Miss all my friends...

srijithunni said...

A very interesting and thought provoking post, Really good one, Dhaval! There have been innumerable articles all over the net, in magazines like India Today and The Week, a humpty number of forwarded mail.. all about the workaholics of the S/W Industry. But your post is different, because you talk about friends. I just have one question for you. Do you think you share the same level of intimacy with people you make friends with, in the workplace, and the friends, you must have had at college. Frankly speaking, I don`t. Nice Pics.

Shall keep up with your updates.

Regards,
Srijith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dhaval,
Good dhaval the blog was well written. I feel you just write it in the flow rather than composing it in any way... haan?
I too agree the fact that changes are a bit frustating at times. Surely its upto us to keep evaluating our own life and our own decisions... and take up the change before the change takes on us or proabably try avoiding the change in case its not worth.
If its short term transfers I should be among your group.. I too have faced it.. making new friends, adjusting with new people adjusting in new place, new room mates..and even new technology.. but what kept me going was my work.. I enjoy my work a lot and luckily I got some real good Leads. But again at the end of day you can't always keep work as your friend. At this level of life where people around are so called 'professionals' we cannot really expect to be friends with them in a way we were in our college or school days.Thats a bit sad. So we end up making friends though not in the real sense. Now I have ended up having more time for myself.. actually all the time... and ofcourse with some of my very old friends(thanks to my Hyd posting!)

All we can do is be assertive in work and maitain balance in both personal and professional life.
And the friends part I agree distance does matter along with other reasons for maintaining friends.
I feel at some point we have to stablize. All these changes happen so qucikly that hardly we feel we can do anything to it..probabaly because it was just start of our career.But its been quiet some time and Now we are in a situation to understand it and analyze our situation. So we can plan accordingly and stablize our life. We always have the power to control our life in some way or other and this is possible only when we know where we are heading to. I am sure all this lonliness and frustation will come to an end or atleast you will have control over all this. Reach out to your self and give yourself what you want. Its time now!
I am trying out myself. you have analyzed quiet a lot by now.
Be happy and do what you enjoy doing...
but whether you are happy or unhappy, whether you are frustated or exited whether its a fun blog or a blog with feelings just keep posting!! :-)
Now you are improving in evey blog haan...don't stop writing!
waise
tum hi to keh te the.. tension nai lene ka.. ;-) light le ne ka sab.
Take care
-Fareena

Dh@v@! said...

@ Anu : yeah that’s wht v call positive thinking right?

@ Srijith : thnx for reading dude… ans to ur question… yes I do share the same level of intimacy with friends here but of cause number of friends here is toooooo less than number of friends in College. I m happy in that case and that hurts more right? Walt let me Come to ur blog….

@ Fareena : hanji Fareenaji… I m still telling the same “tension nai lene ka” “light le”… btw tumhari comments mere blog se jyada achhi thi.. post kardu kya? Keep reading… take care…

SeePearrl said...

take a break buddy!

Dh@v@! said...

@ White Forest : Yeah even i think so... thnx for dropping in...

Anonymous said...

Patel.. take a break ;-)
That's all I can say after reading this post..
Your post mentions a lot of things I have personally felt during the last 2 years.
And all that comes to the mind when it is free..
Once I took a break, or was assigned on a challenging task, I forgot all that and got onto my business :).
Your blogs are really interesting.
I didn't know you could write well..
It connects..
Anyway, looks like you are due for another diu, or goa trip ;-)

Dh@v@! said...

@ Yusuf
yeah u r right Yusuf... ye sab khali dimaag ki pedaish hoti hai... once u have some work everything vanishes... n rahi baat trip ki... i think i need to go for one...

Anonymous said...

hey dhaval...i feel happy after reading ur thoughts and realizing that u r the same as high school dhaval. as per my view, sometimes u are bound to duties for which u let go ur inner desire. i m just starting to look ur blogger profile...it's fun..keep it up..i will be in touch...trust me i m still same batto.. Jaymin (batto)

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Home based bookkeeping jobs java roulette Pink breast cancer awareness braclet single bar driveway gate http://www.volvo-xc90-review.info Leaky delta faucet oak audio cabinets Photos of generic diazepam Free live college cams Online pharmacies and veterinary practices Buick park avenue engines Personal financial planning conference http://www.didrex-1.info