Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Nostalgia 3 : College dayz

Before I start writing anything about my college, I would like to thank Madhurya for clicking all the pictures which I have uploaded here till date. Also would like to thank Hiral for giving me the starting potential for writing the blog. And last but not the least you all readers. It’s nice to see your comments. It gives inspiration to write more… Thought I am writing for myself only, I can’t deny the fact that receiving comments and appreciation is always a good feeling. So keep it up yaaro. Having said that let me start with my college days.

The first time I entered my college was the day when I got admission in Nirma Institute of Technology. Remember that Nirma Nirma washing powder Nirma…. Sabki pasand Nirma ad?… ya the same guy started this college. I had seen Nirma from outside many times but I could never get a chance to see it form inside. Kabhi socha bhi nahi tha ki will go to Nirma some day… Let me tell you Nirma, at that time, was the NUMERO UNO college for engineering in Gujarat. At that time for getting admission into Nirma aapko koi entrance ki zaroorat nahi thi… It was under centralized admission commission based on your 12th standard (Plus 2, 2nd PU whatever you call it). Pata nahi kaise but I got some good numbers in 12th and got admission in Nirma, that to in IT (Information Technology) branch. At that time IT was the hottest option. So I took admission in IT. Yes that’s true I was the greatest dumb on the earth (rather I am still the greatest dumb on the earth). I didn’t know the syllabus of IT. Muje ye bhi pata nahi tha ki which kind of job I will be doing after 4 years. Plz don’t laugh but at that time muje Infy (where I am working right now) ke bare mai bhi pata nahi tha. I know you are feeling like Adnana Sami’s – Lift karade (kaise kai so ko diya hai) song… Must be thinking sala ko kuch ata pata bhi nahi tha… IT ka I bhi pata nahi aata tha, aur abhi infy mai baitha hai… but believe me I was not the only one. Around 70-80% of my classmates were like that only. And all of them are at the good position in good organizations today. Dheere dheere sab samaj ne lage… pata chala kaha aa gaye hai hum and ab kaha jane wale hai hum… So if you are like me don’t worry. But at the same time you should not be careless about your career.

Anyway let me come back to my first day @ Nirma. I and my dad went to Nirma that day. We both had something in our mind regarding Nirma. Bahut suna tha Nirma ke bare mai.. Nirma ye and Nirma woh, the strictest college in the world, you can’t even take breath without permission, you can’t even break any of the rules, you will have to act as a goody goody boy are a goody goody gal, no bunks, no proxies… But on the very first day I came to know ki ye sab BAKWAS hai. Hum log cricket ground dekhne gaye and there this guy (caption of the loosing team was abusing his boys). Ma-bahan-beti sabki **##@@** sunara raha tha woh. Or bhi kuchh interesting galiya woh bol raha tha jo mai aapko nahi bata sakta. Nahi nahi, no please. Sorry I have some decency (ya you read it right…. I am talking about myself, Dhaval Patel) so I can’t write it here. But it was like 440 Volts jatka for me… It’s not that ki woh sab galiya muje pata nahi thi but the thing was my dad was with me.


Believe me for a just-passed-out-from-a-school student the most embarrassing thing is to hear somebody abusing when he is with his dad. He is enjoying it but can’t show the happiness on face. Similarly dad ko bhi pata hai ki beta bolta hoga... ya fir ab sikh hi jayega and bolega par woh bhi acche sharif baap ban ne ka try karenge. Ladka college mai ja raha hai abhi se chhut de di to pata nahi kya karega college mai jake… And the second most embarrassing thing is getting caught by your dad while you are happily staring at the gal. Same funda again. Both the boy and the father have their own reasons for that.

Anyways let me start with my semester 1.
Because it was first semester, we all studied hard (till our first internal exam). But once we got our first semester result (45+/50 in 3 out of 6) subjects, I was like oh man… This is not good. No not at all. How can you get this much marks in college. Gals may think ki this is a bookish guy and not a BF material. So padhai gone and I started all masti right after result of the very first internal exam.

I heard that Nirma is like the gurukul in Mohabbatein. But hum bhi Raj Aryan se kam thodi na hai? Ha hame koi Narayan Shankar nahi mila tha… Let me remember what all we did in our class.

I still remember Ms. Amisha (my lecturer in sem 3). What not we did in her class. We used to throw chalk / eraser / paper at her. When she asked us to leave the class, we used to get out of the class with a smile and thank you on our lips. We did a lot many things which we were not supposed to do like playing card (flash) at the last bench, eating, sleeping, proxies, abusing loudly, grrrrr what not.
If you are reading this post I would like to say sorry ma’m. I am really very sorry ma’m, I mean it. Agar woh chahti to viva mai hamari vat laga sakti thi. But she didn’t do that. And when I spoke to her regarding this, she told me “I can’t be like you”. So great of you ma’m.

Anyways let me continue with masti @ college… Ya bunks and proxies are very common in college and we also did the same. I remember some of our lecturers were very liberal in attendance. So instead of us doing the proxies they themselves were doing it. And some of them caught us red handed. Humne apni attendance ki kurbani de ke bhi dosto ki attendance lagai hai… (dosti ka karz to ada karma padta hai na). We used to play cricket or volleyball by bunking the class. We use to sleep in our campus lawn and drink the water (from the sprinkler) - we were looking like riksha-wala-bhaiyas but who cares? Playground chhod ke paani pine block mai kon jaye? Aur agar HOD ne dekh liya to gaye beta… Bunk maar ke we used to go for movie also (Thanks to R-world, a gr8 multiplex nearby Nirma). But for that also hamne bahut paapad belne pade the. Main gate par security walo ko cigarette pilana, sabhi ko sir bolna, diwali pe sweets dena, everything… I mean bunk ke liye sala kubh bhi karega right?

One thing I would like to tell you, in Nirma we had to write an apology letter for anything you do. You caught listening walkman in college corridor - an apology letter, kisi ladki ko chheda - an apology letter, sir se punga liya - an apology letter, koi bhi rule toda - an apology letter, class mai phone baja - an apology letter … it was too much. But hum bhi IT ke students the. We used technology to the max. We had a soft copy of a very generic apology letter, which can be used by any of the students for any for the reasons, a very generic one. We used to take a printout, whenever needed, and feel the blank space and give it to respective sir. No I am not exaggerating, we have done it. Plane and all were very common. We used to play with rubber band and piece of paper (which was like a weapon for us). Have a look at these snaps.



A guy in action

I need a shield

As usual we also had a fight for sitting on last bench. Reason for doing that, you can bunk the class anytime, you can sleep, you can finish any other tutorials, read novels/magazines, listen to songs, talk on phone, blah blah… But some how we managed to sit on last bench (or last but one). I still remember, one fine day on of my friends brought cake from his home. And I was sitting on last bench with him, both of us enjoyed the cake fully. Just imagine eating full cake with hands as a fork and a piece of paper as a cutter. It was a great experience I must say. Ya but initially we had problems in doing all masties as we had very sophisticated students in our class (cuz of meritocracy, all of us were 90+ percentage in our 12th, so understood right?). We started with 3-4 people and by the end of 7th semester almost all of them were with us. Thank you for making my college life wonderful…

I can’t forget my seniors and juniors (oh how can I forget those sweeties – a very general funda “you will never find a maal in you batch, it’s always your junior or senior batch who has got all the maals)

I can’t forget volleyball & cricket matches we have played.

I can’t forget Garba – Dandiya (a Gujarati dance) and (also other things which we have done in name of Garba)

I can’t forget canteen
I can’t forget IT/Comp’s block
I can’t forget III (industry and institute interface cell for placement)
I can’t forget workshop
I can’t forget mechanical students
I can’t forget auditorium
I can’t forget quiz and play we had done
I can’t forget exam time when most you had helped me
I can’t forget placement party
I can’t forget last semester (come to think of it I can’t forget any single day spent in Nirma)

I can’t forget Naryans (my group), Nityanand, Bhavin, Madhurya, Tina, Arpita, Nilam, Krupa, Tejal, Vidya, Snehal, Nehal, Khatri (printer hahahaha), Yusuf, Pradhyumna, Viral, Indra, Chandu, Jassi, … (can’t write all the names)

But

I can’t forget any one of you. I mean it guys… Thanks for everything you have done (and for everything you haven’t done also wink wink)

It’s not possible for me to write about my college life in just one post but I have tried my level best to give you highlights of my college life innings. Now for extra innings you will have to contact Mandira. Remember that world cup extra innings? Okay now enough… put your tongue in you mouth. Mandira ka naam suna nahi ki ho gaye shuru…

Well yar tumhari tolerance limit ki to daad deni padegi yar…. Pura post padh liya… I know I have put all the things in a big mess. Totally disordered, and lacking of fine flow. But that’s typical me. Don’t go by the heading for post. You may find something more college dayz in next posts.

All the best for your future
Cheers!!!

No period of my life has been one of such unmixed happiness as the
four years which have been spent within college walls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one patel.. i remember once bharti madam literally left our class crying .. haha..

keep up the good work...

Anonymous said...

Once again a masterpiece from Dhems...Gr8 story writing...tough competetior to javed-saleem...

Keep the gr8 show going

Dh@v@! said...

thnx guys..
its like
aap sab ki kahani meri jubaani...
tum log nahi hote to mai kaha se ye sab likh sakta???

Anonymous said...

Excellent !! Meri to aankhe bhar aayee....:) Woh bhi kya din the yaar....